Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How can eLearning remove barriers found in a traditional classroom?

I think a big barrier is the commute to campus. Having online classes eliminates the need to sit in a classroom. Online classes also teaches the basic skills in using digital tools to gather information. Students are learning how to use technology and understanding how to research. They also learn the essential tools to think creatively and develop innovative products using technology. In my experience, online classes helped me manage my time. I had to construct my own schedule on when I would work on my assignments and how often I would check my class online. When I first started Purdue as a Graduate student and had some classes online and others on campus, I would easily forget to complete assignments online if I didn't stay on top of it.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about the commuting barrier, although it was certainly a reason that I did my own Master's online. It was nice to not have to be somewhere at a specific time and think about traffic and parking. When I think about this for students in K-12, I think about students at my school complaining about the uncomfortableness of the desks and ow much they just sit. What if they were able to learn in the comfort of their own home, just like adults in degree programs do? The idea is scary in some ways because of accountability and maturity issues, but it's neat to picture it. Could districts also save transportation money? I know there are some schools that have tried eLearning days with their students this year. It would be interesting to hear the students' reflections on their time management skills during those days and what they learned about how/where they learn best.

    ReplyDelete